Well this week was super crazy. Carnival makes
people insane.... and a lot of drinking and nudity go down, so the whole time I
was just thinking of our members and recent converts and investigators that were
out partying and hoping that nothing crazy happened! Especially because we were
just inside our house not doing very much. A lot of other cool things happened
this week as well.
I had my first cachupa.
But since we can’t eat at members houses we had to have it at a cheap
restaurant. So it was tasty, but the other missionaries said they have had much
better. So that’s something to look forward to in the future, maybe. Going
along with that rule, one of the members found out that my birthday is next month.
And I guess she used to feed the missionaries like every single day and she
absolutely loves birthdays. And she knows about the rules so she is trying to
figure out what to do. It’s quite the conundrum. But I’m hoping I will somehow
magically have a cake that I am allowed to eat, but I’m not crossing my fingers
because I highly doubt it will happen. The best part is if it doesn’t she will
probably be more upset than me. One time we went to her house for references
and we said we couldn’t eat the flan she made. She was super mad when we left.
But it’s okay because she’s super cool and a really good member for the ward,
she actually teaches the sunday school for the older people. Oh also she is one
of the two people in the ward that are fluent in english so she helps teach me
portuguese.
Hmmm… saw a couple of
people face down in the street passed out. That’s not something you usually
would see in Logan. But I guess just about everything I see here is that way.
This week was our first
week without a baptism of our own but it was the first week the other
companionship here had one so that was pretty cool. Especially the part where I
didn’t traumatize any of the members with my blood or my tight pants.
The downside of the week
was lots of our recent converts and investigators that have good strong
testimonies didn’t show up to church for one reason or another. That is
something that is super frustrating I’ve found out. It’s one thing when they
don’t do something because they haven’t gotten a testimony yet, but when it
happens afterwards just because they have bad friends or are lazy is when it
really gets frustrating because you care for the people and want them to make
the right choices. But you can’t hold everyones hand and walk them all to
church at the same time. Even when you try to do that. But the plus side was we
were able to befriend a couple of the less active members and we got 2 of them
back to church this sunday. That was super awesome. Now if we can get a week
where everyone shows up that will be super awesome. It’s crazy how important
ward families are especially here where the ward is small like 50 people and
everyone can know each other well. And they do for the most part. Ward
activities that we are at for a short amount of time are really cool.
I know I’m pretty bad at
picture sending but I’ll send a couple today. Hopefully they can hold you over.
also as far as the mail and package and dear elder situation is that they all
go to the main island first so if you live there you can get them within
like 3 weeks I think, but since I’m on a different island I have to wait til
someone comes out from Praia for some reason or another so its super random but
it can take like 2 months depending on things. Not sure when I will get stuff!
Oh well.
I’m still getting used to
being in Africa. It’s kinda weird especially seeing as I’ve never left the U.S.
before but it’s cool here.
Well I think you can
figure out most of the pictures on your own.
The food one was probably the best
meal I’ve had here yet that we made on carnival because we were inside forever
and had time to make a super nice big lunch. Well if you have any other
questions about them ask and I’ll try to answer next week but as you can tell
I’m not very good at answering them all. Love you all
Love Elder McMullin
Pictures from Elder McMullin (some are repeats)
First week baptism
Second week baptsim
No comments:
Post a Comment